Beneficial Nematodes (BN) attack more than 230 kinds of soil dwelling and wood boring pests, such as flea larvae, white grubs, cutworms, fungus gnat larvae, fire ants and many more! Nematodes are microscopic worms that live in the soil and attack these pests. Nematodes are safe for children, pets, and all plants. They are not to be confused with the Root-Knot Nematode (which is a pest) which these beneficial ones will attack.
For best results, read all the instructions and tips before applying nematodes. KEEP NEMATODES REFRIGERATED UNTIL USE!
- Moisten treatment area before and after applying nematodes.
- Remove any screens or filters from your sprayer before applying.
- Do NOT apply nematodes during the day because the UV rays damage and kill them! Apply early at dawn or in the evening at dusk.
- You will need the following for the mix and spray method; cheesecloth or fine strainer, an unusedhose-end sprayer, and 2 large jars with lids.
We recommend the following steps:
A) Get 2 large jars with lids (quart size at least). Empty nematodes contents into jar, fill with water, and shake contents periodically for 20 mins until separated.
B) Strain jar contents using cheesecloth or strainer (that liquid has all your nematodes).
C) Pour that liquid into hose-end sprayer. Set hose-end sprayer for 2 tsp to start. Keep the strained material for any area you would like to apply directly.
D) Spray on affected area. Shake the sprayer occasionally as they tend to settle to the bottom!
- Do NOT store nematodes in the water and use them immediately. Nematodes cannot breathe in water.
- After applying the nematodes, water them into soil quickly. If covering a large area, do small sections at a time; applying nematodes, then water in repeatedly.
- To maintain nematodes’ effectiveness, water thoroughly once a week.
APPLICATION FOR FIRE ANTS:
Use half the contents of the nematode container, returning the remainder of container to refrigerator. Mix them into 3 – 4 gallons of cool water, then saturate each ant mound. Use a 1/2 gallon on large ant mounds, 1 quart on medium mounds, and 1 pint on small mounds.
Repeat procedure again in 5-7 days.
APPLICATION FOR FLEAS:
Nematodes attack the larvae of fleas. Since there are multiple different stages of fleas in the yard at once (adult, eggs, larvae, and pupa), it is best to apply nematodes in two doses. If there is a severe flea infestation, it is best to use double the amount of nematodes recommended per square foot. Using half the recommended amount of nematodes for general application, mix following the instructions. Then spray according to the instructions and repeat in 5-7 days.
Click here to shop for Beneficial Nematodes on our online store!